Two Fine Arts alumni, Ashkahn Shahparnia (’06) and Astrelle Johnquest (’11), have some hot gift ideas for dads this Father’s Day.
Shahparnia’s “Best Dad” card is letterpress printed on lux cotton paper and comes in a fluorescent pink envelope. The blank interior allows for a personalized message. The card can be purchased at Ashkahn.com, the website for the artist and designer’s studio and company. Described as “Sweet & Naughty” by the New York Times, Shahparnia has been featured in Interview Magazine, Paper Magazine and Taschen. In 2011, Print Magazine nominated him for the prestigious Top 20 Under 30 list.
Johnquest serves up an eclectic roster of items from NowSpace, an artist-run collective and vintage marketplace located in a 1940s home in El Sereno. Her picks are sure to appeal to the dad on your list:
- For the outdoor dad: Vintage Turner Temp-A-Trol camp stove
- For the coffee drinking, mustache bearer: Large, vintage, Japanese mustache mug
- For the grill master: 1950’s BBQ book
- For the fashion forward father: Vintage skinny ties from Italy
- For the dad on the go: Vintage handcrafted, leather messenger bag
- For the fit adventurer: 1970’s kung fu book and California coastline guide
- For the feline father: Fat Cat bowl and mug made by LA artist Lena Wolek
Jonquest’s thesis project at Otis was a pop-up shop that offered alternative forms of exchange and bartering. What she describes as “an extension of my art practice,” Nowspace has quickly gained visibility and was recently featured in the LA Times. Happy shopping!